Born for the Internet

This video was a suggested must-view from my recent LIFT session in Brandon. 

Born for the Internet

As much as the video is funny, it does have a message.  The Internet can provide instructions on almost anything imaginable.  Zhao states that, "computers can substitute for humans when computers have all the needed information to complete the task and such information is reorganized and acquired in a form that computers can process".  The baby in the video did not require any assistance in cutting the umbilical cord; the web provided instructions.  In real life, and as a proud father of three daughters, I will cringe at the thought of anyone besides a qualified doctor to conduct such a critical task. 

One caution is that not all online instruction is "good" instruction.  I recall this Spring looking for YouTube videos to help me learn how to install a new furnace fan motor in my camper.  I wisely checked a number of suggested hits; the first couple made the task look safe for the typical DIY'er like me.  Once I found the third, I realized that I should get someone better qualified to complete the task; flammable propane and my lack of mechanical prowess would be a toxic and risky combination.  Education plays an integral role in ensuring our student critically review each online hit before proceeding to the task at hand.  The first hits are often the first place students look and often utilize for their school work. 


It is imperative that digital citizenship is taught and reinforced throughout the grades.  Critical thinking in online research is a life skill.   

Comments

  1. I find that I have a love-hate relationship with online instruction. On one hand, I go online daily to look up information on a variety of topics from recipes and lesson plans to how to change spark plugs and (the oh so stereotypical mom search query) is it normal if a 2-year old does ______! On the other hand, I've found a lot of very misinformed sites or posts that have a number of comments stating how awesome _____ is when I know very well that the information is: incorrect, dangerous, purposefully misleading, etc.

    Digital literacy is so SO SO important. A quick view of most comment sections on any platform can show you exactly how important both digital literacy AND digital citizenship are. Do you find that staff in your building are purposefully implementing these skills or is it something that is addressed as situations arise?

    Last week happened to be Digital Citizenship week and Media Literacy week is coming up in November. Do you or any of your staff use these events to really emphasize these skills?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kirk !!!!

    I hope things are going great at Goose Lake !

    Great video and post - I think what really relates to me is that we are living in a world where we have all the information we will ever need within our pockets. Our cell phones have given us instant access to everything that is simply a "Google" away. This means we have to change the rigor and design of our programs. We simply cannot design lessons where students are regurgitate information back to us. The focus has to be on critical thinking where students are looking at research and determining action plans or as Mrs T responded and brought up Digital Literacy and looking at what information is accurate and relevant to their topic.

    Thanks Kirk and hope you are doing well- hopefully see you soon.
    Take care,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciated your comments about not all online instruction is good instruction. At LIFT my afternoon presenter, Garfield Gini-Newman, defined critical thinking as criterial thinking or thinking in the face of criteria. He noted that a person is thinking critically only if he/she is attempting to assess or judge the merits of possible options in light of relevant factors or criteria.

    Considering this definition and the discussion around the importance of helping students develop their digital/critical literacy skills, I think we need to get into the habit of asking,
    'What criteria did you use to determine that the information you found was accurate and provided you with the most sound answer?' This also provides a great opportunity to create criteria with students around what is considered accurate, reasonable and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a timely post! As I read your post and the comments from our colleagues, my son is sitting at our kitchen island completing his homework. He is using the internet to find accomplishments and interesting facts about 10 of our Prime Ministers. He continually is asking whether the information he finds is either an accomplishment or an interesting fact. He is unaware, as Suzanne states, about the criteria he needs to make these research decisions. So we provided him with a few simple pieces of criteria with which to make his decisions. Then we asked what websites he was using to find his research. He stated that his teacher would not allow them to use Wikipedia, so he ended up on the Canadian Encyclopedia, because as he said "it just kept coming up".
    This is a happy accident, but unless we provide our students with the tools to be critical of the internet, we are no further ahead in our training of those "born for the internet".

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, I just watched the video and I have to admit I was a bit grossed out, sorry. I actually wish I hadn’t watched it. I think the message was lost for me. I was so distracted and then at the end, it was an ad for MTS?
    I am very glad I turned to your interpretation and analysis that not all online instruction is good instruction. I agree with you. So, then what do we do about this? How do we begin to ensure our students (and teachers) learn about good instruction, online or otherwise? If creativity is now the most important item or employable “skill” that our young people must have, then instruction must be intentionally planned with creative thinking and learning at the outset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such great exchange going on here - but I agree with you Charlene, I found the video a little disturbing as well!

      Delete
  6. I found the video disturbing as well; but the message within is extremely noteworthy....as pointed out in my text.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Citizenship for Kindergarten Students